Member Login

Become a Member

Currently Online
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Sophomore
kosartoslaughter

Triangle Offense in Football! AND Hi-Lo CONCEPTS!

http://smartfootball.com/passi...he-passing-game

Walsh used this in '81; the idea of triangles and spacing to create mismatches in football. He used a vertical and horizontal stretch and blended the two.

These three categories essentially made up the full panoply of choices for the passing game for, well, for a really long time. But at some point — most notably with Bill Walsh’s 49ers — a “new” concept began emerging, though it wasn’t actually new at all but was instead a very clever twist on what Gillman had synthesized. Walsh realized that you could combine the horizontal and the vertical stretchto create a kind of “new” stretch, though one made up of both of Gillman’s first two categories. Moreover, Walsh often combined the two zone beaters — the horizontal and vertical stretch — with the third category, the man beating concept, into a single “triangle” read that also was designed to defeat man coverage. If the perfect pass play was the Holy Grail of modern football, then the triangle is its best personification to date and Walsh its Galahad.

But let’s take a step back to understand why the triangle stretch works, along with its negatives. The best vertical or horizontal stretches use more than two receivers, with three or more receivers being used in various “zone flood” routes. If you caught the defense in the right look it was mathematically impossible for them to defend you: If you ran the three-level flood route against Cover 2, they had two guys (a corner and a safety) to defend three receivers; and if you caught a Cover 3/4-under defense with your all-curl concept, it was easy pick’ins:

(When I hyperlinked the article, the text itself I was typing to desc. the article was also highlighted and I'm not sure why).

Please use plain text.
Sophomore
DawgPickles

Re: Triangle Offense in Football! AND Hi-Lo CONCEPTS!

Thanks for posting this. Great stuff.
Please use plain text.
Sophomore
stonecolddawg

kosartoslaughter wrote:

http://smartfootball.com/passi...he-passing-game

Walsh used this in '81; the idea of triangles and spacing to create mismatches in football. He used a vertical and horizontal stretch and blended the two.

These three categories essentially made up the full panoply of choices for the passing game for, well, for a really long time. But at some point — most notably with Bill Walsh’s 49ers — a “new” concept began emerging, though it wasn’t actually new at all but was instead a very clever twist on what Gillman had synthesized. Walsh realized that you could combine the horizontal and the vertical stretch to create a kind of “new” stretch, though one made up of both of Gillman’s first two categories. Moreover, Walsh often combined the two zone beaters — the horizontal and vertical stretch — with the third category, the man beating concept, into a single “triangle” read that also was designed to defeat man coverage. If the perfect pass play was the Holy Grail of modern football, then the triangle is its best personification to date and Walsh its Galahad.

But let’s take a step back to understand why the triangle stretch works, along with its negatives. The best vertical or horizontal stretches use more than two receivers, with three or more receivers being used in various “zone flood” routes. If you caught the defense in the right look it was mathematically impossible for them to defend you: If you ran the three-level flood route against Cover 2, they had two guys (a corner and a safety) to defend three receivers; and if you caught a Cover 3/4-under defense with your all-curl concept, it was easy pick’ins:

(When I hyperlinked the article, the text itself I was typing to desc. the article was also highlighted and I'm not sure why).

Looks like you can take "X" and "A" and create some backside mismatches.  X makes a hard slant inside if frontside is sniffed out, and forces the LB to cover him.  A is on a 9 route to take the CB out of the play.  Or, X and A make a soft cross with each other, and, if it's man coverage, the LB getsbeaten, or the CB has to make a choice whom to cover.

stonecolddawg
Please use plain text.
Sophomore
kosartoslaughter

RE: Triangle Offense in Football! AND Hi-Lo CONCEPTS!

I love football. If I could get a job as a film study guy, I'd leave seminary school in a heartbeat.
Please use plain text.
All Star
Scrottiemcbooger

Sadly I think this is the playbook in Pat Shurmur's offense...West Coast offense from 1981.  The rest of the league has advanced 31 years.
Please use plain text.
Junior
SOBOdawg

Scrottiemcbooger wrote: Sadly I think this is the playbook in Pat Shurmur's offense...West Coast offense from 1981.  The rest of the league has advanced 31 years.
That play is still in every NFL offense to this day.

Can't stop talking football: Browns, NFL, college, even some high school @brentsobleski
Please use plain text.
All Star
mortdogsr

SOBOdawg wrote:
Scrottiemcbooger wrote: Sadly I think this is the playbook in Pat Shurmur's offense...West Coast offense from 1981.  The rest of the league has advanced31 years.
That play is still in every NFL offense to this day.
There are a finite number of plays that can be run in football...; there is a certain level of "artistry" involving the selection of plays to be run at a particular moment in a drive, game or season but the true measure of competence for any team lies in the  "execution" of plays.

That team which blocks , tackles, runs, passes and catches most effectively most often wins...; it's a pretty simple concept.
Please use plain text.
Sophomore
browns22

Looks very similar to Andrew Luck's famous play on Gruden QB Camp.  That play is a killer if you have a fullback/h-back who can catch out of the backfield.  

Please use plain text.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean